Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thursday, March 20, 2014

This morning I woke up with the intention to shower as I usually do, because if I shower in the morning, my hair will not have those annoying folds and cricks in it that sleeping on wet hair causes. Evelyn and myself quickly discovered that the house's water was not working. After the previous night's dance lesson/party, I was not smelling too fresh so, in vain, I attempted to clean my body with a face wipe. Not my brightest idea, admittedly, but I didn't get any complaints so I guess it worked well enough! After my pathetic wipe bath and a delicious home-made cinnamon bagel, we all piled into the van to head on our 3(ish) hour journey to the Ethiopian Grand Canyon, Debre Libanos.

Last night after the dancing, Relia, Carson, Ms. Turlington (Turlz), Ms. Wahlstrom (Wally), and Mr. Orvis (Scotty O), and I were having another great late night chat. Turlz informed me that the van has a USB port so I could make a playlist for the car ride to the Ethiopian Grand Canyon. I immediately got to work and created what I believe to be the best car playlist ever made with songs ranging from Beyonce to Fall Out Boy to Hall and Oates and, of course, a huge dose of Bieber. This morning I was SO excited to show off my hard work to everyone else but my worst nightmare came true when the music wouldn't work so nobody got to hear the pure genius which was the "Ethiopia Car Swag #teamscottyo" playlist. Luckily for them, they got the next best thing as me and Carson sang each song (very well I might add) from the back of the van. After about 3 hours of driving through absolutely breathtaking country side, we arrived at the Ethiopian Grand Canyon. We went on a hike deeper into the Canyon to find beautiful grottos, dried up waterfalls, and cliffs overlooking never ending country side. The whole experience was so incredible and definitely one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen... if not the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

On the car ride home, everyone fell asleep except for the driver, of course, and Scotty O, as he was taking thousands of pictures to attempt to capture the beauty of the country side. When we got back into the city, we got to use the ice cream money that Ms. McGlohon generously gave us before we left the States at a place called " I SCREAM YOU SCREAM WE ALL SCREAM FOR igloo ICE-CREAM" which tasted heavenly (Thanks Ms. McGlohon!), especially to Carson as half of her sandwich at lunch was stolen out of her hands by some sort of giant bird of prey. Biniam (Beans) came to meet up with us at the ice-cream shop to eat with us and let us know that the water was still not working. I was a little worried considering my face wipe bath had most definitely worn off by this point so I was smelling real bad. We all piled into the van after we finished our ice-cream and awaited the news of how we were going to handle the water situation. Turlz let us know that we were going to go home and grab our shower supplies and then head to a so-called "day spa", and considering many girls had used holes in the ground as restrooms that day, she warned us it might not be very nice. To our surprise, we pulled up to a high class spa featuring a hair and nail salon, a hot-tub, sauna, steam room, and three lovely stone-tiled showers with rainfall shower heads. Our group got the run of the room which featured the hot-tub, sauna and steam room, an area full of massage beds, and the showers. Relia and I could hardly contain our excitement and nearly cried tears of diva joy. Carson, Relia, and I made use of the sauna and then transitioned to a relaxing lounge on the massage chairs and then ended the evening with warm showers. We all left feeling extremely zen and refreshed.

When we found out that we were having fajitas and guacamole for dinner, I thought that Carson would never stop talking about her deep and meaningful love of gauc. She ended up being right however - the gauc was so delicious especially with the homemade chips we were using to dip. Overall today was one of the best days we have had for sure and I know that our last two days will only get better. We will be going back to Berhan Yehun tomorrow and it is going to be hard to sleep through my excitement tonight! With a delicious meal and a spa trip under my belt, however, I should probably be able to fall asleep somehow! (also as promised, shoutout to Maddy. miss you homie!) Ciao!!

- Kayla Gwaltney, '15

No comments:

Post a Comment