Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday, March 21, 2014

As said at dinner during our "Glums & Glows," today was overall a "glowy" day.

It started with the usual: waking up way too early, way before any of the other girls. Throughout this week, a Breakfast Club has formed, the cast including myself, Matt, Orvs, Amy, and the guard who comes in to make tea at exactly 7:00 A.M. After my 6th cup of to-die-for-Ethiopian coffee, we eventually loaded the car and battled our way through Addis morning rush-hour traffic to a different location of the Hope Enterprise Soup Kitchen.

When we first arrived, women were grouped together around the tables with children on their backs and at their feet. The gap between us and them was quickly bridged when the kids ran up to us, grabbed our hands, and smiled up at us. Before I knew it, I was sitting on the hot gravel with one in my lap, one playing with my hair, one holding my hand, and two others teaching me how to count to 100 in Amharic with rocks. Abraham was a perfect teacher, Mercy kissed my hand, and Isaac gave me a rubber band to wear as a bracelet. As time passed without even noticing, I was told the car, which had the food, broke down but would be coming soon. In our case, it was a blessing in disguise because if it had been on time, the beautiful moment with the children would not have been one of the many glows of our day.

Spoonfuls of soup and many You're Welcomes later, we went to eat lunch before visiting Berhan Yehun for one last time. While all the food we have eaten has been amazing, this restaurant was on the top floor of a building, overlooking the city. After the stunning view, strawberry-banana pancakes, and two cappuccinos (coffee count of the day: 8 cups), we drove to my favorite place in all of Addis.

Since I could write a novel on all we have experienced with these amazing children, I'll try to fathom some into words and summarize it up. First I should start with mentioning that I was married off on the first day to a cutie named Joel. Ever since our spontaneous marriage underneath the blue tarp and next to the dry-erase board, I have referred to him as "my husband" and I "his wife." As soon as we walked through the gates, I was greeted by my husband grabbing my hand, Wendu grabbing my other, and them begging for my GoPro. The boys recorded videos while the girls played with my hair and we talked about our day.

To explain the best glow of all, I have to first start with some back story: On the first day at Berhan Yehun, I quickly bonded with a 5th grade sweetheart named Meserete. She had grabbed my hand to sit down next to her and our conversation led to her explaining she wants to be a pilot, her dream being to fly anywhere in the world and travel. Before leaving, I noticed her toe was bloody but did not think much of it. On the second day, she told me she was sick and showed me her toe, which was completely black and made her limp when she walked. In complete shock to how quickly it had gotten worse, I asked around for any help but all I was told was she will be fine. Today, however, I was able to have my first doctor experience abroad. Although it was more minor of a procedure than I wish I could have performed, I carefully wrapped two band-aids around Meserete's toe and gave her two extra to change them out with. With her toe all bandaged up, we exchanged letters we had written for each other (thank goodness she reads English because my Amharic is pathetic) and we were all forced to say our goodbyes (for now at least).

Long-tangent later, today was filled with smiles, hand-holding, hugs, "will you be back?", and heavy hearts. Even though I would do anything to not get on the plane tomorrow and stay in Addis forever, I cannot think of a better way to end our time with the konjo (beautiful in Amharic) children at Berhan Yehun.

P.S: Shout-out to Mom and Dad, let the gap year and study abroad conversations begin!

- Meg Cooksey, '14

No comments:

Post a Comment