Thursday, March 23, 2017

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Hey everyone from the peeps in Ethiopia! Today was another wonderful day filled with lots of games, laughter, and excellent food. The day started off at 9:15am, which allowed for some nice sleep in time. We had a fantastic variety at breakfast with cereals, homemade bread, tea, and the outstanding coffee. After breakfast, we all headed out to Sele Enat, an orphanage.

When we arrived at Sele Enat, Leann instantly made a connection with an adorable dog. Next, we broke up into two different groups. One group went to see the babies, while the other group went to see the toddlers. Personally, I went to hang out with the toddlers first, and they were honestly the sweetest kids. We brought balloons for the kids to play with, and they were such a big hit amongst them all. As soon as I sat down on the ground, a girl in the cutest yellow skirt and bright pink shirt came to sit in my lap. The kids were running around the room, hitting the balloons back and forth or kicking them. The smiles that were created from a single balloon made me realize how fortunate I am for everything I have in my life.

It soon came time to switch groups and that meant it was time for me to go hang out with the babies. Holy goodness! I was not prepared for all of cuteness in that room. We played with the babies with rattles and a variety of toys, trying our best to keep them awake before their naptime. We all made some extremely great connections with different babies. I had a few highlights of holding babies for a long time but getting to feed one baby food was a special moment. I was also proud that my baby was the first one to finish all his food out of all the SMS people getting to feed them because the struggle was real for some of us. It started drizzling outside, and lunchtime was fast approaching. This meant the hard goodbyes were about to become a reality and putting down the baby I fed was difficult for me.

We pulled up at a converted warehouse for lunch, and the inside of the restaurant was beautiful. It was called Sishu and I would highly recommend it. Honestly, this place turned out to be a major hit and was possibly one of the best meals I have had here. Everyone ordered a variety of drinks such as soft drinks, pineapple fanta, and ambo (a fizzy carbonated water). Most people ordered some type of burger but three people in the group ordered BLTs with avocado or a tofu sandwich. I ordered a bacon cheeseburger, and what made it was the special sauce, like thousand island. The fries were so delicious as well, and they reminded me of McDonald’s french fries which I think are some of the best ones.

After an amazing lunch, with a very full stomach, we headed out to run some errands. The first stop was a local supermarket to buy some traditional Ethiopian snack food, kolo, which I think is delicious. I could not believe that the food was so cheap with the conversion rates. Next, we went to a local coffee shop, called Tomoca, to buy bags of coffee beans and some people got coffee to drink right then. We had some more time to kill before our afternoon activity, so we took a second trip to Igloo, the ice cream shop. I did not get any this time because I had plenty of food at lunch. Some people did though, and we all enjoyed chatting and hanging out at the tables outside.

Ms. Turlington and all of us kids, went back to Berhan Yehun. Ms. Rundles, Mrs, Chernin, and Dani went to a history museum, while we all went to visit the kids again. When we arrived, the kids were not there from school yet, so we ended up playing with the bubbles and balloons we brought for them. Once they got there, we started integrating ourselves into various games with them. On Tuesday, we had brought them some balls which they quickly pulled out to play with today. There were multiple games of keep away and some were much more intense than others. We all sat down in a U shape to hear about the plans that they had made for us.

The first thing that they had planned to do with us was sing a song for us, and I must say it is always a pleasure to listen to them sing, while smiling from ear to ear. I participated in a game they had planned in place of Mary Ashburn because she has a fear of hearing balloons pop. The game was basically tying a balloon to your midcalf and running around trying to pop another person’s balloon, before yours is popped. Needless to say, one of the Ethiopian boys won against Suzanna, Julia, and me. Next, a group of people played musical chairs which our competitive Suzanna won. We took some group photos and then said our goodbyes to the sweet people at Berhan Yehun.

Our ride home was filled with lots of traffic, which made our ride a little bit longer than normal. When we got back to the house, dinner was prepared as usual at about 6:30pm. It was an exciting combination of rice, chicken, steak with peppers, steak kabobs, and eggplant chip things. I was happy with the amount of meat at dinner, and it was fantastic. We waited for Bini to arrive to do Glums and Glows from the day, and it is a great tradition that we have been doing every night.

We have a special house guest who has been with us since yesterday evening. She is here for adoption, and she had a lot of us teary eyed tonight. She got to meet her son for the first time today, and she showed the group a video of them together during Glums and Glows. That made my day. I am so happy for her and her new family member, and I can say on the behalf of us all, we wish her well over the next three months of finishing the process here.

Today was an excellent day of the trip filled with so many great memories. I cannot believe this trip is coming close to the end, but I am so excited to see what is left in store for us. Shopping sounds like it will be so much fun tomorrow, and I cannot wait to have another great day!

Peace out from Addis,
Langdon  

-Langdon Kennedy, ‘17

No comments:

Post a Comment