Friday, April 12, 2013

Reflection




After more than 24 hours in transit for our journey home and with a handful of days back in the states behind us, everyone took a few moments to reflect on our time in Ethiopia.

I knew traveling to Ethiopia was going to be an eye opening experience. When I arrived, I was surprised to see how many people were on the streets roaming and I did not expect the driving to be as crazy as it was. Everyone knew to expect poverty, but it seemed more realistic when beggars and people would come up to you asking for money and food. It was especially sad when you could tell that some children were trained to beg to receive money. I definitely gained a love for the people and children we met. All of the children were very sweet and friendly, and I was really impressed by the women and men that we met at the fuel wood organization. I was particularly intrigued by the story of the woman we met at the fuel wood organization. She was 65 years old with six children and carried more than 20 pounds of fuel wood up and down the mountain daily for 20 plus years. I would recommend this trip to anyone else interested in going because you learn so much and it is fun, too!
-        Aubrey Finley, ‘13

I wanted to go Ethiopia because I just wanted to visit Africa. That was it.  I didn't know much about Ethiopia, and I only could relate Ethiopia with coffee. Therefore, it was unexpected that this trip would have a significant impact on my life. The people we met in Ethiopia were some of the nicest people I have met, and the students in Ethiopia were eager to learn and make a difference. We went to several places where we faced the reality of Ethiopia. While looking at the reality there, I saw that the life there can be bettered, because the people are so willing to change. It reminded me of my country, South Korea. South Korea used to be one of the poorest countries; however, the aid from other countries and the struggle of the South Koreans changed South Korea to be one of the most developed countries. Believing Ethiopia can flourish in a near future, I wanted to be part of this development and help them. I don't know what I exactly want to do in future, but the one thing I am sure is that this trip significantly changed my future path. It was ‘literally’ life-changing.
-        Yeon Mi Hwang, ‘14

What I loved most about Ethiopia was the authenticity of every person we encountered. There is no denying the fact that poverty exists and is a part of daily life in the country, but that isn’t how the people of Ethiopia define themselves. Everyone we spoke to was eager to know how we had enjoyed our time in Addis, and what we liked the most about Ethiopia. They are proud of their country, its history and contributions to the world. The people of Ethiopia care for one another in a way that is different from our culture in the US. We grow up with our parents’ close eyes on our every move, but many children in Ethiopia safely walk across the downtown to school every day. It is rare to speak with a stranger in the US, but in Ethiopia I saw strangers greeted as if they were old friends. It was a gift to be able to spend my time there with such a lively group from Saint Mary’s. I learned something new from each person in our group, and appreciated their support throughout our journey. I knew I always had someone to talk to, and wasn’t facing this new country alone.  Ethiopia left a lasting impression on my heart, and it is a place that I will always remember.
-        Florrie McCard, ‘14

I think, first off, I need to say what a fantastic experience I had in Ethiopia. Before we left, I was so nervous and had absolutely no idea what to expect. I’m glad I had no expectations though because I wanted to jump in with an open mind, and once we got there, I realized any expectations I had would never have matched the reality of Addis Ababa. I think one of the main things I gained from this experience was just an understanding of how different other parts of the world are. At first it was hard for me to wrap my head around just how impoverished the area was, especially when comparing it to what I was used to back home. It was almost like something you had to see to believe, or you knew it was out there but it didn’t sink in until you actually saw it for yourself. The parts of the trip that impacted me the most were our trips to schools and orphanages, as well as just our drives through the city. It was stunning to see how excited the kids were just to have people come to play with them, and the look on their faces when they received nothing more than a t-shirt was crazy. Even at Destiny Academy, one of the nicer schools there, the students’ uniforms were ripped and tattered. It was such a different standard of living than I’m used to or have ever been exposed to. It made me realize how lucky I am and how thankful I should be for all the opportunities and advantages I’ve been blessed with. Recently I’ve been thinking I might pursue International Affairs as a major in college, and this trip definitely confirmed it for me. While in Ethiopia, I learned that I have a strong interest in learning as much as possible about other countries, other cultures, and the world around me. I loved our trip to Ethiopia and I’m hoping I can go back in the near future.
-        Julia Weaver, ‘13


I had a wonderful time in Ethiopia and I cannot wait to go back again. The highlight of my experience was sitting in classes with kids at Destiny Academy and serving at the soup kitchen. At Destiny Academy, I was impressed my how smart and hardworking the kids are. I visited a third-grade class and they were learning about the solar system in English (their second language)! They even taught me something that I had no idea about. Those kids were so dedicated and enthusiastic. I learned a lot from them. Not only about solar systems, but also about the positive attitude they have about life. I sincerely wish one day they can have what they truly deserved. I also had an interesting experience when serving at the local soup kitchen. Yeon Mi and I got to interact personally with people who came for free soup and injera (a local food). To my surprise, although suffering from hunger, they showed manners and respect for us and for each other. Each person was supposed to get two scoop of soup, but some of them would politely decline the second scoop and asked me to give it to another kid or woman. There was no chaos; no fighting for food; no disrespect. Instead, I was moved by their caring actions for one another. Things like this happened every day during my Ethiopia journey and almost everything added to an unforgettable memory. I could not be more pleased with my experience there.
-        Erin Xu, ‘13

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I very much enjoyed following your blog while you were away. Your reflections were wonderful and I'm so grateful each of you had this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete